Ok, so I've already made an attempt to create a list of the top 100 movie characters of all time, but this list is a little different. It's my favorite movie characters of all time. While there is certainly some overlap, there's also a lot of head scratchers - well head scratchers for most of you out there. But this is my list, and there's no right or wrong.
You'll see Oscar winners, and one hit wonders. Characters that carried their movie and characters that did very little. These are the characters that in one way or another shaped my love of movies.
On the flip side, Part 1 of the list!
100. Jack Manfred (Clive Owen, Croupier)
99. Sgt. Weaver (Carl Weathers, Force 10 from Navarone)
Whenever this movie is on, I watch it. It used to be on a lot more often, but whatever, I'm close enough to being able to recite the dialog now anyway.
98. Crash Davis (Kevin Costner, Bull Durham)
97. Bud White (Russell Crowe, LA Confidential)
96. Agent George Stone (Andy Garcia, The Untouchables)
95. Det. Sgt. Matthew Fox (Billy Dee Williams, Nighthawks)
94. Paul Avery (Robert Downey Jr., Zodiac)
In a movie with an ensemble cast, it's tough to stand out. Downey Jr. as Paul Avery does it.
93. Hoagie Newcombe (Sir Michael Caine, Jaws: The Revenge)
I have a soft spot in my heart for this terrible movie. Caine is deliciously terrible playing a beach bum that inadvertently gets caught up in a shark's revenge against a family that has a shark killing history. I can't turn this one off either.
(How would she have flashbacks to the boat scene in the original? She wasn't there. Did her husband paint that much of a mental picture when he got home? Why wouldn't she just move to Nebraska?
92. Veronica (Winona Ryder, Heathers)
91. Dr. Alan Grant (Sam Neill, Jurassic Park)
90. Photojournalist (Dennis Hopper, Apocalypse Now)
89. Roscoe (Michael D. Roberts, Ice Pirates)
I haven't found too many people who have heard of, let alone seen Ice Pirates. That's a shame.
(I think this movie is the genesis for my time travel fetish. I can't explain it, you have to watch the movie.)
88. Atticus Finch (Gregory Peck, To Kill a Mockingbird)
87. Paden (Kevin Kline, Silverado)
86. Billy (Sonny Landham, Predator)
I argue Billy would have survived had he stuck it out with Schwartzanegger in that jungle. But then he goes and does the noble thing and sacrifices himself so others can survive.
85. Ralph (Danny DeVito, Romancing the Stone)
84. Bernard 'Beanie' Campbell (Vince Vaughn, Old School)
83. Cher Horowitz (Alicia Silverstone, Clueless)
82. Lt. Topper Harley (Charles Sheen, Hot Shots)
81. Major Toht (Ronald Lacey, Raiders of the Lost Ark)
One of the better villains in film. Not only is he a nazi, he's a creepy nazi.
80. RJ MacReady (Kurt Russell, The Thing)
79. Jasper (Michael Caine, Children of Men)
78. Jack Prescott (Jeff Bridges, King Kong)
Is it bad that I rank the '76 King Kong as the best of the three? Is there anyone else that would suggest something like that? What can I say - I saw it an an impressionable age.
77. Regan (Linda Blair, The Exorcist)
76. Mike (Stephen Gevedon, Session 9)
75. John Patrick Mason (Sean Connery, The Rock)
Part 2 tomorrow...