Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Getting Off the Grid

What's living off the grid, you ask?

For most Americans, tap water, electricity and heating are not only staples of modern convenience -- they're absolute necessities. A small but growing number of Americans, however, have ditched the comfort and convenience of their utilities and chosen instead to live off the grid -- unconnected to gas, water, phone and power networks, and, in some cases, making their life from whatever they can grow or hunt on the land. In 2009, British journalist and documentary filmmaker Nick Rosen traveled around the United States visiting these unplugged Americans to find out what it means to live an off-the-grid life.

I'll be honest - the thought of leaving the wired in lifestyle has a romantic appeal to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not stupid enough to believe I could ever do it, but a part of me envies the people who are giving it a go.

If you're interested in at least learning more about living off the grid, buy Nick Rosen's book, "Off the Grid: Inside the Movement for More Space, Less Government, and True Independence in Modern America."

No comments: