Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Cool Shit 9/11

Before the Onion, there was The Weekly World News around to troll us. Sure, it didn't have the biting satire that the Onion has, but it still stood guard at every supermarket checkout aisle, waiting to offer its insane headlines to all who passed. And now, apparently I'm supposed to believe some of the headlines were actually true?

What it's like to be a lobsterman in Maine. You know, people I know who live up there continually tell me I'd be sick of lobster if I was around it all the time. That doesn't mean I don't want to test their theory.

Ugh, I'm not sure why I'm so annoyed by this family only living with 1986 technology, but I am. Maybe it's because it could be a publicity stunt. Maybe it's because it's affecting their livelihood because he'll only use a fax machine at work. Maybe because, while technology obviously has its sociological challenges, it seems the guy was a bit drastic in his solution when his kid wouldn't go outside because he was playing on his ipad. It seems like this gimmick is his answer to "parenting."

I can't begin to tell you how I remembered/stumbled over this, but if you enjoy Monopoly, and mildly chuckle at some of the stuff I write, then you might not vomit after reading a piece I wrote a long time ago about the joys of the board game Monopoly.

In case you're stupid and are constantly outside in thunderstorms, here's a look at how you might survive a lightning strike.

I think "terrible actors" might be a little strong, but even stars with "limited range" can produce a great performance, which sort of suggests this entire article is one big oxymoron, no?

No comments: