Thursday, July 15, 2010

From the Mind of M Night Shyamalan

Though not directed by M Night Shyamalan, the movie Devil is certainly being promoted heavily as though it has been. Not sure if that's a good thing or not these days.

Anyway, take a look at the trailer here. Personally, I hated it. I don't understand the upside down cityscapes at the beginning (most of the action seems to take place in an elevator, which has never made me feel discombobulated. Claustrophobic, sure). And I thought it gave away too much of the movie. I understand that's a common complaint for trailers these days, but this one really went too far. This plot begs for a "less is more" approach. It's one thing to give away a lot of big action pieces in a trailer to get people pumped up; it's another to go all out on what you're trying to market as a psychological thriller. Or what could have been a psychological thriller.

No comments: