Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Wanna get a little horny?

Time to take a musical train to horny ville. If you've heard our podcasts (and if you haven't you're a stupid head) you know we often debate about the perfect song for different scenarios. Whether it's a zombie invasion or a funeral, we have an idea of what we want to be listening to.

I figured on this rainy afternoon, I would translate that to the web, and give a an (in)complete list of my favorite songs with horns in them. My criteria here was horns that support and not dominate the song. So unfortunately no Miles Davis or John Coltrane. Instead, I'm giving you a bunch of songs that have a little getup and go to them - courtesy of a backing group of musicians that like to blow.


SeeqPod - Playable Search

On the flip side - a brief run down of random facts inspired by the horny set list, song by song...



Sequestered in Memphis - The Hold Steady
Single from The Hold Steady's latest. One of the stronger tracks. If you aren't familiar with The Hold Steady, I implore you to seek them out.

Down to the Nightclub - Tower of Power
No list of songs with horns would be complete without the Tower of Power. I remember when they used to always sit in with Paul Schaefer on Friday night Letterman tapings. You know, back when Letterman had Chris Elliot writing for him and he was funny.

Van Morrison - Jackie Wilson Said
One of my friends once challenged me to name an famous Irish person who wasn't a singer, poet or novelist. This happened before the Internet, and therefore had no comeback. Had I had the Internet, I could have retorted with this.

Apache - Incredible Bongo Band
I'm sure you've heard this riff (do you define bongo rhythms as riffs?) before but had no idea who did it. In fact, I bet you had no idea that there was an entire band dedicated to the bongo. At least you know what you're getting when you see their name on the marquee.

Beginnings - Chicago
I used to hate it when I heard this song on the radio, and the deejay would talk over the percussive outro of the song. Let it play! No wonder we live in a jump cut society - deejays can't wait to get the next platter on the turntable!

Buena - Morphine
First heard this song when it was the music bed to NBC's Saturday night block of shows promotion years ago. Back when they were trying to cash in on the X-Files craze, giving us some alien based drama. No idea what the show was called. But I remembered Morphine. I think I came out ahead on that one.

Plenty Nasty - Diplomats of Sound
A band playing old school funk. Of course they have horns.

Hoist - Phish
You either love Phish or you don't. I was kinda into them, but not really. I do love this song though.

Traffic - Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
One day, when I write a script, and have need for a song playing in the background of a strip joint, I plan to make it this song. It will definitely give me the tone I'm looking for.

Ok, so those are mine - suggest yours in the comments below. I love finding out about new music.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Give Marah "Fever" off of "Let's cut the crap and hook up later" a shot...real good horns on there.

Goose said...

oh you're a talking Cline's (the other guy here) language by namedropping Marah.

Goose said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

love marah...any band that can get harry kalas doing an intro on their album is okay with me...

they put on a great sloppy bar band rock n roll show. I saw them at Zeno's a couple years ago. Walking on tables amongst the crowd.

Anonymous said...

Was not familiar w/ the Hold Steady song, which as of now i've listened to it bout a half dozen times...just love it, and its usage of horns.

Low Spark of high heeled boys, what can i say, classic.

For different horns like the muted trumpets of Cake now and again, namely the great "I Will Survive" cover, or Frank Sinatra.

sex shop woman said...

Quite helpful piece of writing, thanks for the post.