Monday, August 17, 2009

Podcast 11.000 – 70% Less Structure, 150% More Rambling

Once upon a time, The Popcorn Trick was nothing more than a frisky little kernel, yearning for the heat that would cause it to explode in flavor and happily die an artificial-butter-flavor-induced death in the mouth of some guy way too old to be watching Twilight for the 5th time.

That kernel had not yet dared to dream of a day when it would sponsor house concerts or be a vehicle for strangers to tell Goose that he’s an idiot.

No, that kernel was borderline adequate at one thing and one thing only: 

Podcasting.

Like McLean Stevenson and Phil Spector before us, we had forsaken that which had elevated us to the upper-lower echelon of show business in the first place.

But that could not and will not stand. 

Is Acid Podcasting Considered a Full-Blown Genre Yet?

It is now.  With our previous 10 podcasts, we had a fairly rigid format with an intro, and outro, and 3-4 segments that were decidedly about something.

Because of the nearly 9-month hiatus, we had a large backlog of things to discuss, so we just started skiffing and broke it up into segments when discussion of a topic naturally came to an end.  It felt good.

Can we do this with every podcast?  If we wait 9 months, sure.

Let us know what you think about the new format, good or bad.

We Will Try To Reduce, If Not Eliminate, The Poor Audio Quality That Makes It Sound Like We Are Broadcasting From Within An Airplane Hangar

We promise.

Audio-Visual Ephemera

Links:

  1. Twitter
    • ThePopcornTrick (Updated every time we post something to the Blog or Podcast)
    • TheCline (personal ramblings)
    • Goose (personal ramblings and frittata recipes)
  2. Vegas
    • In anticipation of our April 2010 Bender in the city that truly doesn’t sleep, here’s an article I wrote about some of my favorite and out-of-the-way places in Vegas to get your drink/bingo/stripper/buffet/leprechaun ON.
  3. I’m a Crappy Contest, Get Me Out of Here
    • Here’s a recap of the brief time I spent as part of this wretched contest.
  4. YouTubing in Public
    • See my shirt-winning entry and hear more about my adventures in the madcap world of YouTube bar contests in this post.
  5. Reverend Cline
    1. 2 of my friends foolishly chose me to marry them.  30 seconds on the Universal Life Church web site, and blammo, I was ordained.  I’d post some pics, but am still waiting for them to be posted by people lazier than I.
    2. I will post the 2 readings that the couple chose.  Keep in mind that the second one was read by someone doing an impersonation of the groom doing an impersonation of Jerry Seinfeld, which devolved during the reading into a Harry Carey homage.
      1. Pablo Neruda -

        I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where. I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride; so I love you because I know no other way  than this: Where “I” does not exist, nor “You”, so close that your hand on my chest is my hand, so close that your eyes close as I fall asleep."
      2. Jerome Seinfeld -

        "The idea behind the tuxedo is the woman's point of view that men are all the same, so we might as well dress them that way. That's why a wedding is like the joining together of a beautiful, glowing bride and some guy. The tuxedo is a wedding safety device, created by women because they know that men are undependable. So in case the groom chickens out, everybody just takes one step over, and she marries the next guy."

Video

When I think of Brosnan in Volcano, I immediately think of the Backstreet Boys:

King Khan & the Shrines (aka the intro music)

A little old-time comedy:

Our award-winning film, Get ‘em McGettigan!

Given the opportunity, hopefully we’ll live up to JVCD’s example of how to be interviewed at Cannes:

Our spit takes will be way better than these guys, though maybe not as physically attractive:

 

Some of the movies we mentioned:

Sean Bean makes a cameo on a British sitcom:

“You heard me, Coltrane”

No comments: