Tuesday, November 11, 2008

NaNoWriMo Update 11/11

Quick look at how it's going. Kind of a good news/bad news thing.

Good news: I broke the 5000 word barrier.
Bad news: I'm pretty sure I hate my intro to the piece, which is probably about 1500 words.

And that's what is making this so difficult for me. Every sane person doing this is not editing themselves; unfortunately I can't get away from that. Everything I've written so far I think is shit, and therefore want to change it. But if I do that, I'm not going to come close to finishing.

Then there's the ol' thing of still not having a plot. It's still a series of events, roughly (stress roughly) sewn together with a location backdrop. Maybe it can still work. Who knows?

One bright light (small but still) is that I do have at least a structure (in my head) of how the next few chapters are going to go. I'm not sure it's the right thing, to do, and the time (no it's not about time travel unfortunately) is being slowed down to accomplish it, and I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do or not, but whatever. At this point, I can't think of another way to conquer it.

So there you have it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like you are making it too autobiographical, and since summers at hollow were like a teen version of Seinfeld (show about nothing), it is better suited as a sitcom (files of hidden hollow short story) than a movie (novel). try to incorporate the series of events around a main theme (sounds easy huh). I'm sure its super hard, but no ones gonna call you out because you really didn't win that diving meet with a full twisting reverse 2 and a half which catapaulted you to the olympic trials for Barcelona '92, but at least you could write 50k words about your lifelong pursuit of "x", and the season where you put it all on the line. I don't know, just giving suggestions.

Goose said...

I'm definitely not making it autobiographical; characters developed already may have shades of people but I'd be willing to bet even people that worked there wouldn't be able to specifically link them to a specific individual.

The lack of plot does have to do with the fact that I don't have one major idea running through this yet. I have a rough idea, unfortunately, that too isn't really a major thing (i.e. a murder,).

We'll see what happens I guess.

khop said...

i'll be sitting on a plane for several hours saturday AM and then again on Monday AM going and coming from vegas. if you get stuff to me in time, i'd be happy to read on the plane sat. If i have the weekend i want to have, i won't be in any kind of shape to read on the plane ride back, though... If you don't want to take me up on the offer, that's all well and good, but then quit yo' bitchin' and get back to work, writer monkey.

Goose said...

While I am hesitant to give people stuff while I'm still working on it, that's something I have to get over, so you may see some sort of document at some point, with a huge disclaimer about how it's a work in progress and blah blah blah. Thanks.

Cline said...

No, give it to her. There's no way I'd get it and post it under a different name, and then accuse you of plagiarism.

Goose said...

If you don't think I already have it posted somewhere on the web than you're just being goofy.